Naturopathic Medicine is a form of integrative medicine that emphasizes the prevention of disease through dietary and lifestyle choices. Much of naturopathic medicine has been used as medicine for hundreds of years, far older than the technology of what we now know as conventional, allopathic medicine.
Naturopathic Doctors (NDs) can teach you the tools to live a balanced and healthy life for both body and mind. When you do need help with a specific condition, NDs may use natural therapies whenever possible such as herbs, nutrition, homeopathy, hydrotherapy and more. NDs excel in complicated and chronic cases because of their multi-system, patient-centered approach to whole health and wellness.
- Listen to your personal health concerns & work with you on your treatment goals
- Graduated from a 4-year, accredited, postgraduate naturopathic medical school
- Are licensed medical providers in 18 US states
- Treat the whole person - mind, body & spirit
- Investigate & treat the root cause of the disease rather than managing/masking symptoms
- Use natural substances to heal whenever possible
- Educate patients about prevention of disease & the "whys" and "hows" of any current disease
- Prescribe pharmaceuticals when needed (depending on state formulary)
- Order labs and imaging when needed
- Perform physical and screening tests/exams (PAP smears, breast exams, prostate exams)
- Present the allopathic (MD) standard of care as well as the naturopathic recommended care for any illness
- Are an excellent choice for your health care provider!
Have more questions about naturopathic medical education? Click here to see a comparison to MD medical education.